Studio Museum in Harlem: Xaviera Simmons
USA- New York, NY | Jun 22 2012 | (01:07:49 - EST)
Primary Sources presents the work of Xaviera Simmons, the 2011-12 artists in residence at The Studio Museum in Harlem. Simmons uses appropriated source material and imagery, mediating and reinterpreting her initial contexts through photography. A primary source is original documentation of a specific historical moment, often used to inform later interpretations or analyses of that time period. For Simmons, such material provides the starting point for artistic practices that are deeply invested in histories—recent and distant, personal and global—to make artworks situated in the immediate present.
This exhibition is running through October 21, 2012.
Get up to date news just for Artists!(Looking for special offers or news in all categories? Try our General newsletter!)
- The New Classic: Julia Belanoff
- HWKN’s Project: Winner of Young Architects Program
- Custo Barcelona Presents X-ray at NY Fashion Week
- 10 Interesting Concepts Revealed at NY Auto Show
- Paris Couture by Chanel - C'est Magnifique!
- Lower Blood Pressure & Reverse Age with Marine-D3
- Annuity Harmony: Helping You Plan for Retirement